Is there a better smell in the world than fresh cookies baking in the oven? Many would agree that there isn’t. I made this oatmeal cookie recipe for guests quite a few times recently, and decided I’d share it with you all! The recipe makes about 12 delicious, healthy and chewy oatmeal cookies.
For 12 medium-sized cookies,
- 1 cup steel-cut or regular oats;
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour (for a gluten-free option, you can use oat flour, rice flour, or another flour of your choice);
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil;
Oils that are liquid at room temperature won’t work for this recipe. We’re replacing butter with coconut oil, both of which are solid at room temperature. This helps keep the cookies from crumbling after baking!
- 1 (large) egg;
fun fact: whenever eggs are mentioned in recipes, it is referring to large eggs, unless otherwise indicated!
- 2 tsp baking powder;
- a pinch of salt;
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon (optional);
- 1 tsp of ground nutmeg (optional);
- Some honey (you can also use maple syrup or agave syrup, which are similarly nourishing);
Add the sweetener based on how sweet you would like. I personally don’t add too much, say about 1/8 of a cup, or 2.5 tbsp.
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips, raisins or other dried fruit (optional);
Again, add more or less depending on your own personal taste.
What to do:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, coconut oil and honey;
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oats, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg;
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients (bowl 2) into the egg-oil-honey mixture (bowl 1). Mix until well incorporated;
- Fold in chocolate chips or dried fruit until well dispersed;
- Chill for about 10-15 minutes, or until you prepare your baking sheet and preheat the oven;
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit;
- Line a tin baking sheet with parchment paper, and place medium-sized dollops of the oatmeal cookie mixture about an inch or two apart from eachother;
- Bake cookies at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes. Let cool well before transferring them to a plate or wire rack.
If you ever do decide to make these homemade cookies, tag me in them on Instagram @snacklikeyoumeanit! I’d love to chat with you guys! I hope you liked today’s recipe!
Keep smiling! 💖